Thursday, February 4, 2010

Shaving brush makers and brands

Sometimes you embark on a journey and change direction. When I started taking an interest in bells I decided to find out what I could about the famous makers.In the UK there are two - Whitechapel Bell Foundry and John Taylor and Co. Very old companies, proud of what they do.Enthusiasts were invited to tour the foundries and to see bells being cast.Off I went to both,learnt a lot and had a great time.
So as I decided to write this blog it seemed an obvious idea to find out something about the famous British brush makers and perhaps pay them a visit to see how they made their shaving brushes.
So who are they? Well, the names that crop up most often are Simpson, Rooney, Vulfix, Kent and Edwin Jagger. The big London names of Trumpers, TOBS and Trufitt & Hill have their own brands made for them too.
Further afield are the likes of Plisson, Omega, Shavemac, Semogue and Savile Rowe. Not quite so easy to visit these.
There's a lot of information about some of these legends on the internet so I shall just explain how far I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment